Contact us

Our purpose

Situated in Bridgwater and Minehead, the Somerset West Lodging Scheme has been developed to help generate more good quality, affordable accommodation in the Sedgemoor and West Somerset areas.

Funded by EDF Energy, we work in partnership with West Somerset Council and Sedgemoor District Council to provide an individually tailored service to ensure that the process of getting your room ready to let is smooth and trouble free.

Service tailored to you

You will have a personal contact from the very first enquiry that you make, all the way through to finding a suitable lodger, and if wanted, we can also offer ongoing support once your lodger has moved in.

We know that your home is very important to you and that you may have some concerns in letting out a room to a lodger, this is why we tailor our service to suit your individual needs to make the experience of renting out your room as stress free as possible.


open quotation mark I feel optimistic that we have found the right person for our room, but am really encouraged to know that you will still be there for us if we have any problems in the future – a friendly voice on the end of the phone in my hour of need! close quotation mark


Happy LodgerWhat is a lodger?

  • A lodger is someone who shares the landlord’s main home and usually some of the living space as well
  • A lodger is a licensee and not a tenant; they would be issued with a licence or lodgers agreement. Licensees have fewer rights than tenants, sharing the landlord’s home is one of things that differentiates a lodger from a tenant, for this reason the property must be the principle or main home of the landlord
  • Some landlords will also provide bedding and meals for their lodger

open quotation mark My home circumstances had become difficult and I needed to find alternative accommodation quite quickly. As soon as I met the landlord and saw the house and her spare room I knew it was meant for me. Just 5 days after viewing I am moving in. I found the service from Somerset West Lodging Scheme totally amazing. close quotation markJulia*, 26, Bridgwater (*name protected)

Happy LodgerCan anyone rent out their spare room?

  • If you are renting a property from a housing association or local authority then permission will be need to be given before you can take in a lodger. This is something we can help you with if you wish.
  • Owner occupiers with a mortgage may not be able to sublet; the mortgage lender will need to know that no tenancy is created, only a licence/lodgers agreement and permission from your lender will be needed.
  • If you are a private tenant you will need to seek permission from your landlord. We can help you with this if you wish.